A Very Brief History of Trinity Episcopal Church
The cornerstone of Trinity Episcopal Church was laid in 1908 on an acre and a half of land at the corner of York Street and Woodbridge Road.
Summer residents had raised funds for a new church that was to be governed by trustees within the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Maine. The building committee was composed of Thomas Nelson Page, H. Blanchard Dominick, Francis Lynde Stetson, William H. Lincoln, E.H. Siter and
Elihu Chauncey. The building was constructed by E.E. Goodwin of York Harbor.
The edifice was designed in 1907 by the renowned architect, Henry Janeway Hardenbergh of New York. Mr. Dominick was a client of Mr. Hardenbergh in New York and likely the person responsible for commissioning the architect. Hardenbergh had previously served as architect for the Waldorf-Astoria, the Plaza Hotel and the Dakota Apartments in New York, the Willard Hotel in Washington, DC and the Copley Plaza in Boston.
The fieldstone church, which seats 400, is designed in classic cruciform tradition. Among its most notable features are a crenellated stone bell tower, a 12 rank, 947 pipe Wicks Organ, and two large stained glass windows. Also notable are the overhead structural beams throughout the nave.
Arrangement of the beams is such that they create equilateral triangles reflective of the Trinity after which the church was named.
Summer chapel services began June 6, 1909 and have continued to the present day under the direction of a Board of Trustees with the assistance of the Service Guild. Sunday services are conducted by distinguished guest clergy during the June-September season. Baptisms, weddings, memorial services and funerals may be arranged by contacting the Chairs of the Service Guild.